Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Mother's Day Card and a Tutorial

Hello everyone, I hope the week is treating you well.

The Flying Unicorn had a card challenge for making a flower pot card. The cards were adorable so I decided to give it a try.


Pretty cute right! Well there is more...


It pulls a part to this darling tag that you can write or stamp a sentiment! Forgive my sense of humor - but truly from conception well into our adult years our mothers are our guiding force and anchor. This card is also really versatile for Get Well and Thinking of You occasions.

I used Sparkle N Sprinkle stamp, glitters and embossing powders on this card as follows:


Other supplies:
Cardstock - white and colored
Distress inks - Crushed Olive, Peeled Paint, Bundled Sage, Antique Linen, Tattered Rose, Spun Sugar, 
Petaloo vines
Flower Punch
Border Punch
Spellbinders Bitty Blossom Dies

I just purchased the Bitty Blossom dies and I love the leaves. I did however struggle with the flowers. I could cut and roll them just fine. However, I was dissatisfied with the shading and color. Then after tossing a few and staring at the unrolled flower on colored cardstock I wondered why I wasn't following my usual process of die cutting in white and then using inks to add color. So here is what I did:

Die cut and emboss white cardstock:
 
I choose two yellow inks, using the darker of the two I inked what will become the inside bottom of the flower:
The video on using this die calls for pushing the petals into a foam mat - I used some brad foam packaging and the end of my paint brush:
This pushing of the flower does most of the shaping and petal cupping for you:
Then you roll the flower tightly:
I used Dimensional glue on the dollop of paper that is the flower base:
As the glue is drying I fussed with the tightness of the bloom center and worked the petals until I was happy - 
Then I inked the outer petals in lighter yellow ink. I am using chalk inks that dry really fast.
I am starting to like the depth of color on the flower but I want glitz too like fresh morning dew. I added Brushable Glue with my finger to the tops of the petals pretty heavily and some drips into the flower.
Adding a healthy coat of Lemonade Glitter - this glitter adds color and sparkle to my bloom:
Now I am happy with the variation in color and pretty sparkle - the glue is still wet but when it dried on the yellow and lavender flower I really was happy. You could also come back when dry and mist lightly with some of our Memories Mists in the store for some more color and shine...I used diluted Lavender Tea on my small lavender flower on the card. 

I hope you enjoyed this little walk through my maddness LOL. Have a wonderful day!!!









6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous job on the flowers!!! What a pretty bouquet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeek! Totally awesome! I felt I was right there with you through that tutorial - what a great project! Thanks for sharing Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job. I saw this and thought to try it out but didn't have time. Awesome job!!! I need to get some more flower dies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, just beautiful! And thank you for the tutorial. Maybe I can stop buying ready made flowers now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty , Cindy! I love the flowers. Great card!

    ReplyDelete